DFD's forty-ninth fire station, Station #12, was opened February 3, 1983, to serve the far southwest Oak Cliff area, and participate with Duncanville in mutual aid fire response in the developing areas of the two cities.
A one and a half bay Station #12 was the final station built from funds of the 1975 City bond issue, at a cost of $512,000.
Little is known about the first Station #12 at 2300 South Ervay Street. Photographic records indicate a single company ran out of the two story building built during the days of "horse (animal) power" in the fire service. The station closed in 1953 when Station #4 was built.
Each shift is staffed by a captain and three paramedics. "An unusual feature of our station," notes Captain "Pete" Peters, A Shift, "is that no one on any of the three shifts smokes. Thus, the environment of our station stays clean."
A 5,715 square-foot "modular designed" facility of tan brick, #12 has several distinctive features for a Dallas fire station. The roof, covered with Timberline composition shingles, is pitched at a distinctive angle. While most stations are situated on 40,000 square-foot lots, Station #12 has 60,000 square feet.
Inside, a special feature of #12 is the "mezzanine" located above the kitchen, at the end of the half bay, containing the heating, cooling and auxiliary power systems. Location of these systems in a mezzanine provide easy accessibility in cases of repair.
While the station does not have a "colorful past" because of its newness, #12 features a rainbow interior-the entry is royal blue, the kitchen red, living room yellow and dormitory peach.